We’re Receiving Registrations for the
2017-2018 St. Stephen Lutheran Preschool!
Come tour our school and learn about our program!
Welcome and thank you for your interest in our preschool, established in 1965. Our holistic approach offers a variety of opportunities for individual and group participation. We strive to develop strong self-help and school readiness, encourage creativity, and provide engaging language arts and math activities.
For more information and to schedule a tour, call Preschool Administrator Sandy Peterkin in the church office: (757) 229-6688. And be sure to check out our Facebook page!
We are receiving registrations for the 2017-2018 school year. You can download a registration form here. Send your form and $75 registration fee today!
If you are interested in joining our dynamic team of teachers, you can download a job application form here.
To provide a kind and friendly atmosphere in which each child will expand his/her cognitive, social, physical, and emotional development, while focusing on positive self-concept and an enjoyable preschool experience.
To introduce preschool members and their families to the St. Stephen congregation and ministry, and invite them to become participants in the study of God’s word.
Class times are from 9:00 AM to Noon. We offer 2-, 3-, 4- and 5-day programs for children 3-5 who are potty-trained. Early Morning Care is available daily beginning at 8:15 AM. An extended day program runs Monday–Thursday from Noon to 2:00 PM from mid-September through mid-May.
Non-Discrimination Policy: St. Stephen Lutheran Preschool shall not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions, scholarships, and other school administered programs.
- Meet two days (Tues. and Thurs.) or three days (Mon., Wed., Fri.) each week
- Maximum class size is 10
- Child should be 3 by September 30
- Meet three days (Mon., Wed., Fri.) or four days (Mon., Tues., Wed., Thurs.) each week
- Maximum class size is 12
- Meets five days per week
- Maximum class size is 12
Early Morning Care
- Available daily from 8:15 AM
Extended Day Program
- Monday through Thursday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM
Weekly Chapel Time with a Pastor
Prayer before snack
Bible stories and seasonal songs
Oral expression/listening skills
Daily reading time
Appropriate field trips (e.g., fire station)
Large muscle development
Fine motor skill development
Respect and warmth shown to each child
Cooperative play experiences
Trust in environment and adults
Develop empathy for others
Cognition, Problem Solving, and Scientific Development
Opportunities to see similarities and differences
Develop senses: see, hear, taste, smell, and touch
Use diverse materials (e.g., water, clay, objects)
Observe and care for plants and animals
Beginning recognition of numbers
Development of basic number concepts
Awareness of time intervals
Daily art classes
Exploration with wide variety of visual media
Distinguishing between fantasy and reality
Encouragement of imagination
Weekly music classes
Our Calendar for 2016 – 2017
Dates are subject to change.
- August 31, September 1 & 2 – Meet the Teacher Days
- September 6 – First full day of School – Cubs, Raccoons, Owls & Frogs
- September 7 – First full day of School – Bunnies & Bears
- September 12 – Extended Day Program begins
- October 1 & 2 – Occasion for the Arts
- November 2 – Jamestown Fieldtrip – Bears, Owls & Frogs
- November 8 – Lifetouch Pictures – Cubs, Raccoons & Owls
- November 9 – Lifetouch Pictures – Bunnies, Bears & Frogs
- November 23-25 – Thanksgiving Holiday – No School
- December 15 – Christmas Party – Cubs, Raccoons & Owls
- December 16 – Christmas Party – Bears, Bunnies & Frogs
- December 17-January 2 – Christmas Break – No School
- January 16 – Martin Luther King Holiday – No School
- February 20 – Presidents’ Day Holiday – No School
- February 27 – Teacher Work Day – No School
- February 27 – Father’s Night – Bears, Owls & Frogs
- March 2 – Books & Breakfast – Owls, Cubs & Raccoons
- March 3 – Books & Breakfast – Frogs, Bears & Bunnies
- April 1-9 – Spring Break
- April 12 – Easter Egg Hunt – Bears & Bunnies
- April 13 – Easter Egg Hunt – Cubs, Raccoons, Owls & Frogs
- April 14 – Good Friday – No School
- May 5 – Kindergarten Registration for Williamsburg/James City County
- May 10 – Grandparents’ Tea – Bunnies – No extended Day
- May 10 – Mother’s Day Brunch – Bears, Owls & Frogs – No extended Day
- May 11 – Grandparents’ Tea – Cubs & Raccoons
- May 18 – Extended Day Ends
- May 29 – Memorial Day – No School
- May 30 – School Picnic – Raccoons, Cubs & Bunnies – No school for Bears, Owls & Frogs
- May 31 – School Picnic & Graduation – Bears, Owls & Frogs