We Support and Nurture Our Parents and Children
When parents and sponsors bring children to the baptismal font, they promise to:
- nurture them in faith and prayer,
- put the Holy Scriptures in their hands,
- teach them to trust God,
- teach them the Lord’s Prayer, the Creed and the Ten Commandments,
- be an example of Christ through what we say and do,
- show them how to care for others and work for justice and peace.
As a congregation, we provide a community of support for parents in their vocation of raising children.
How We Do This
- We welcome children (including babies) to our worship services, which include a children’s sermon. Children are not taken away at any time.
- We offer a nursery during worship time for children ages 1–5 in case parents want to let them play for a bit. The children are brought back to parents at communion time.
- We teach children songs and have them sing during worship a few times a year.
- We provide Spark Story Bibles to our children.
- We hold faith formation classes for children in preschool through high school at 9:45 AM on Sunday mornings from September through May.
- We prepare our children to receive Holy Communion and our youth to make their Affirmation of Baptism.
- We accompany youth to Virginia Synod youth gatherings.
- We gather for cross-generational learning events.